Peranakan Play Day

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

While the hubs spent a day out fishing in Malaysia, I grabbed the opportunity to watch a Peranakan play called Makan Nangka Kena Getah with my mum.
Step into the fascinating world of Babas and Nonyas and find out what's brewing in the Lim family. You'll find it hard to resist colourful gossips and their wicked sense of humour. MAKAN NANGKA KENA GETAH regales you with a richly woven tale of a Peranakan family struggling with sibling rivalry and forgotten secrets.
As it was the weekend, the traffic to town was horrendous! 
I left home super early but we still end up having only less than half an hour to grab dinner before the play started.
Hans @ National Library was the nearest thing we can find but frankly I find the food not bad! This is the Chicken Alfredo that I had that night.
Wore my Orange kebaya top to watch the play
My mum! 
After a hurried dinner, we went in just in time for the show!
Got time to take picture means early haha
The stage set-up was MARVELOUS!
It was entirely built like a typical Peranakan household, with its antique chairs and cabinets. Too bad there were extremely strict no photo-taking rules to abide to throughout the whole duration in the theater, or else I would love to have taken more before the performance started!
Breaktime means an opportunity to eat, mingle and look at the wares offered by various stalls.
They were selling an array of items such as the Nonya dumplings to food seasoning to batik styled cloth.
Two little Bibiks! Soooo cute.
Sambal balacan from Rumah Bebe in Katong 
(Happen to be the same place I got my Orange kebaya top from!)
Then my mum turned around and saw her Bibik friend selling Ku pie ti there!
A part of food culture I love so much
I enjoyed the show so much! It was so funny and emotional at the same time. 
“What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.” 
- Mother Teresa
Thats true!
Hope you have a great day! xoxo

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hello there, Pixie! Feel free to leave a comment, thanks! xo

My Reads

Blog Archive