Whats in my Makeup Bag

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

[Makeup Essentials] Hi guys! What a week! Its been a crazy week trying to get things done, rushing some reviews and spending precious time with family. How is your week coming along so far? :) Today's post is something that I have always wanted to do. From time to time, I get emails and questions on what are my favorite beauty products and what do I usually use on a daily basis. So, here's a quick peek into the world of my Makeup Bag!  

I try not to use too many makeup products as I prefer to let my skin 'breathe' as much as possible. For normal days, I try to get away with little makeup (and coz Im lazy too haha!!) I hate trying to get rid of stubborn heavy makeup so I tend to use lighter makeup. In addition, I have Eyelash Extensions and Eyebrow Embroidery on and that itself saves me a hell lot of time on my makeup routine.
Daily Makeup Essentials
My Daily Makeup Look consists of : 
- Sunscreen (minimum SPF 20) 
- Loose Powder
- Blusher
- Eyeshadow Pen (to act like an eyeliner) 
- Mascara
- Lip Balm 
Base 
Im very particular about my makeup base as its the first point of contact with my clean skin and I have slightly sensitive skin so Im careful with what I apply on my face in case it will trigger a pimple outbreak if Im not careful. In addition, I try NOT to use liquid foundations/bb creams/cc creams/concealors as I find that they tend to cause me clogged pores in the long run. I have combination-sensitive skin so I try to use minimum beauty products in my normal makeup routine.
By sticking to a light tinted SPF like my Porcelain Skin Perfecting Moisturizer, my clogged pores have greatly reduced over time and makeup removal is both easy and fast. This SPF is also non-oily and has a light coverage. Personally I dun use any concealer at all (I've learnt to live with my blemishes! Lol) but if you are concerned about dark eye circles and acne scarring, - you might have to use one over this.
After applying my SPF, I use my 3CE Natural Finish Loose Powder in #001 to set my makeup base. I like how light this powder is and it does not oxidize easily. Coverage is light but suffice for me. I really love how easy the powder glides on my skin with my Loveybelle Eclipse Buffer Brush. This brush is perfect for applying powder and it buffs into skin smoothly, creating a soft finish. (Previous review here : http://elaine73.blogspot.sg/2014/02/loveybelle-makeup-brushes-review.html)
Touch-ups
Because I find it cumbersome to carry my loose powder out for touch-ups, I usually use an oil-blotter (not pictured) or a piece of tissue to get rid of shine while I am out. That usually works well for me but in any case, I will bring our a small compact powder for touch-ups if its extremely humid and if my makeup has smudged due to rain/perspiration etc. 
I really like my 3CE Slim Fit Powder Pact in #Soft Beige as it is easy to carry for travel and is slim enough to fit in my makeup pouch. Coverage is medium and it does not oxidize easily even in our hot weather. I can layer it without feeling that its too mask-like. One of my favorite beauty buys from Korea. My other compact powder is the Collection Bright & Glow Brightening Compact Foundation in Ivory 2. I received this product from the Collection media event that I attended recently and although I have not tried their BB cream, I like how natural this powder looks on my skin. It has a medium-heavy coverage (it is a compact foundation afterall) so I use this sparingly if possible and mostly on my T-zone and chin for a subtle brightening effect.
Blusher
I am a blush-freak I must admit! If I need to showcase ALL my blushers.. I think I will go on and on forever! 
So here's (just) 3 of my most used blushers.
Sometimes I like to layer blushers to create a slightly more 3D effect. I would usually use my Tom Ford Cheek Color in Wicked or 3CE Face Blush #Cotton Candy by swirling it lightly over my cheeks and then I would use my 3CE Cream Blusher #New Pink by dotting it on the top of my cheeks.
Swatches
I prefer to use a really soft brush like my Laduree Blusher Brush or Jill Stuart Kabuki Brush to apply blushers as they tend to have the most subtle and soft effect. I think that blushers should give off a natural glow to the skin and it should resemble a natural flush instead of looking like two round pink circles on the skin! *Tip : If you have over-done your blusher, simple dip a clean soft brush into loose powder and lightly go over your cheeks.
Highlighter
These I tend to use lightly, preferring to dust it over my cheeks for a iridescent feel. As most shimmer makeup contains Mica ,- which can cause micro-tears and irritation in sensitive skin, I try to use them as sparingly as possible. 
The Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Pink has always been one of my favorite highlighting powders as they really impart a light glow to my skin without making me look like a huge disco ball. I also like my Too Faced Perfect Flush Blush in Peach Beach for a more summery, coral-pink look. *Tip : Once again, highlighters should be used with a light hand and using a (highlighter or fluffy) brush, gently dust it on the apples of ur cheeks n not all over your face to avoid looking greasy. 
Eye Makeup 
Unfortunately I have to admit that Im awfully boring in my eye makeup these days! I have eyelash extensions so its quite dramaaaaaa and I tend to go easy on my eyes (and they are so time-saving!), preferring to use a soft dark brown eye shadow instead of eyeliner. I would usually use a light shimmer all over my eyes (if Im really feeling hardworking lol or if Im heading our for the night) like my Jill Stuart Cream Glitter in Gold Light. It gives a slight twinkling effect which I really like. On my lower lash line, I use the MakeupMania Eyeshadow Powder Pen in replacement of a eyeliner as it's quite soft-looking. The only downside is that it is not as long-lasting as a eyeliner and tend to smudge a little by the end of the day. My two favorite mascaras are the K-Palette 1-day Lash Perm and the 3CE Moving Mascara. They wash off easily with a little makeup remover and warm water.
Lips
I prefer to use lighter nude colors on my lips and the Tom Ford Ultra-Shine Lip Gloss in Tawny Pink complements my skintone perfectly. Jill Stuart Jelly Lipgloss in Honey Lemon is a clear lip gloss that stays on my lips without flaking (those I abhor!) and in between I am currently using my Hello Kitty Lip Balm (or any drugstore lip balm) to keep my lips hydrated and moisturized.
And these are all my current favorite makeup items! Hope you enjoyed the pictures and my little review. All products have been purchased unless stated otherwise.
So, whats in your makeup bag? :)
Leave a comment, tag or message if you would like to show me your favorite beauty products too! I would love to see them all! Take care! I'll be heading to a short holiday soon, so here's wishing everyone a Happy Labor Day in advance!
Facebook ♥ Instagram ♥ Twitter

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Must look out for 3CE next time I'm in Korea too. Enjoy your holidays! xox

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my dear! Keke i really like 3CE i realized!! Lolol. I like how reasonably priced their products r, and the wide range of colors they have :) im missing Korea all over again! Wish they come to SG!!!! ><

    ReplyDelete

Hello there, Pixie! Feel free to leave a comment, thanks! xo

My Reads

Blog Archive